Veterinarian - Hospital Medical Leader
Company: Petco Animal Supplies, Inc.
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Category: Full Service Veterinary Hospitals
Location: 165 N MCDOWELL BLVD, Petaluma , CA--94954
Schedule: Full_time C ome work at a place where innovation and
teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the
world! Signing Bonus and/or Relocation Assistance Available!
Position Purpose: The purpose of the Hospital Medical Leader
position is to lead the hospital veterinary team in providing
excellent veterinary care to our Vetco Total Care full-service
hospital patients while offering phenomenal customer care to their
owners. The Hospital Medical Director represents the mission and
values to all clients, veterinarians, and hospital and store
partners. All hospital partners are responsible for performing
their duties in a way that creates an environment in which:
- The patient's needs always come first
- Every team member understands that they have the power to do
what it takes to create an exceptional customer and patient
- Contentious issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur
when possible, or as soon as is possible
- Exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits
the entire organization Essential Job Functions Listed are the
essential duties and responsibilities that are required of this
position. The incumbent must be able to perform all the following
duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable
- Lead hospital veterinarian team.
- Partner with Hospital Office Manager to provide cohesive and
collaborative leadership to the entire hospital team.
- Mentor and coach hospital veterinarians to drive continuous
improvement in clinical skills, client communication, team
collaboration and standard of care.
- Hold responsibility for driving hospital commitment to medical
quality, including compliance with Petco Medical SOPs and all
applicable laws and regulations.
- Understand and assure strict compliance of state practice act
requirements for full-service veterinary hospitals.
- Conduct veterinarian candidate interviewing and
- Participate in hospital partner interviews.
- Create veterinarian schedule, identify potential gaps and
partner with Hospital Office Manager and field leadership to
- Closely monitor hospital performance, and in partnership with
HOM and field leadership identify areas of opportunity to drive
business results through exceptional quality of care and client
- Review P&L monthly reporting, and partner with HOM and
Field Leadership to increase revenue growth and exceed financial
targets set by Finance team by ensuring a high level of quality and
high level of efficiency.
- Conduct regular review of electronic medical records of direct
reports regarding patient decisions and provide feedback and
direction as a means to elevate patient care.
- Ensure all client concerns and reportable incidents are
addressed swiftly, partner with the Hospital Office Manager and
field leadership in appropriate resolution.
- Maintain and be responsible for ordering, inventory and
recording of all controlled substances and keep hospital in
compliance with DEA regulations.
- Promote a strong culture of safety for both team and pets
- Partner with Hospital Office Manager for all hospital radiation
safety training and compliance.
- Provide excellent patient care by performing physical
examinations, diagnosing and treating diseases, and providing
preventive care according to patient lifestyle and location on
feline and canine patients.
- Utilize a problem-based approach that includes developing a
complete problem list for every patient examined, a complete list
of differential diagnoses for each problem identified, a complete
diagnostic plan, and appropriate treatments based on interpretation
of diagnostic test results leading to confirmed or suspected
- Document all patient observations, findings of exams and
diagnostics, treatments and medications, client interactions, and
tentative and confirmed diagnoses in the medical record in a
concise and detailed fashion, according to practice
- Perform routine and complex surgical procedures including (but
not limited to) spays/neuters, exploratory laparotomy, and mass
- Perform routine and complex dental procedures including full
dental examination, evaluation of dental radiographs, as well as
simple and complex extractions and oral surgical procedures.
- Develop treatment plans for patients undergoing daytime
hospitalization utilizing a complete problem-based assessment.
Transition patients to overnight care as needed and communicate
effectively with referral hospitals and clients in order to ensure
continuity of patient care. Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in rounds as incoming or exiting doctor at
beginning and end of shifts
- Disseminate knowledge throughout team members in order to
improve the level of care provided by all, to both the patient and
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Maintain any required state premise permits or hospital vendor
accounts as needed. Nature of Supervision In all activities related
to the care of individual patients, the incumbent will take direct
supervision from the Area Medical Director. The Hospital Medical
Director has discretion related to decisions regarding patient
care, however it is imperative that the Hospital Medical Director
uphold the standards set forth in the Petco Veterinary SOPs. The
Hospital Medical Director should expect to receive direction and
guidance based on electronic medical record review from the Area
Medical Director regarding patient decisions and should accept such
feedback as a means to elevate patient care and client interactions
in our hospital. All hospital veterinarians should work together in
a collegial fashion and are expected to behave in a professional
and personable manner. Planning and Problem Solving Problem solving
is at the heart of veterinary medicine, and it is expected that any
successful candidate will possess excellent problem-solving skills
that allow expeditious diagnosis of patient problems. Impact This
position will impact the organization by contributing to the growth
of a productive practice while focusing on a high-quality standard
of care. From an overall hospital organizational standpoint, this
position is critical to ensuring that we have a cohesive,
well-trained, and motivated team. The desired end result is the
creation of an optimal environment that ensures employee retention,
patient well-being, and customer satisfaction. Supervisory
Responsibility This position has supervisory responsibility for all
hospital veterinarians, including full-time, part-time, exotic, and
relief veterinarians. The majority of job duties are conducted in
the Vetco Total Care veterinary full-service hospital. Position
requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as
necessary), and standing for long periods of time. A large amount
of this partner's time will be spent in direct contact with clients
and their pets. Contacts This position will regularly communicate
with clients, veterinary specialists, and companies that provide
products and/or services that the practice utilizes
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from an AVMA-accredited
veterinary school or its equivalent
- 1-3 years minimum of clinical veterinary experience
- Experience mentoring and coaching veterinarians preferred
- Active licensure as a veterinarian without contingencies in the
state in which the hospital is located or ability to obtain by
- Current DEA license
- Current Controlled Substance License, if applicable, in state
in which the hospital is located or ability to obtain by start
- USDA Category I Accreditation or completion within two months
of hire date.
- Strong skills performing anesthesia and routine surgeries
including but not limited to: canine and feline spays, neuters,
mass removals, and dentals
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication
- Must be compassionate and sympathetic, and be able to maintain
a professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful
- Must have telephone and computer skills
- Must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and
treatments, offer creative ideas, and accept change Petco Animal
Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any
other protected classification. Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other
protected classification. If you are a returning visitor who has an
existing account, please click here . Current PETCO Partners
Current Partners can explore internal opportunities by logging in
Keywords: Petco Animal Supplies, Inc., Petaluma , Veterinarian - Hospital Medical Leader, Healthcare , Petaluma, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!